Eggnog is a very famous drink in Western World, which is consumed on the occasions of Christmas and New Year, especially. It is almost a tradition to consume Eggnog during the winter holiday season.
So, what is Eggnog?
Eggnog is a Milk Egg Punch. Punch is basically a mixture of beverages with alcohol in it. So, Eggnog is basically a Punch with Milk and Eggs.
Usually, Eggnog is made with rum and brandy mixed with beaten eggs, milk and sugar.
Do we where Eggnog started and how?
It is believed that Eggnog was created by Monks in today’s Great Britain, around 13th century, where the monks used to drink something called Posset, which is a strong ale made with eggs and figs. This Posset could have gradually transformed into today’s Eggnog.
Eggnog became the famous holidays drink only when it reached the North American continent by 1700s’. With large availability of rum, poultry and dairy, the drink soon became a mass favourite.
The preparation of this drink is a little time consuming but not too complicated.
So, wanna prepare you own Eggnog for the first time this winter?
1. Take a thick bottom sauce pan and add milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, cloves and ground cinnamon. Heat it on a gentle slow flame and bring it to boil.
2. Take a large bowl and whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is fluffy.
3. Now pour the hot milk mixture into the large bowl and whisk it all together
4. Pour the mixture into sauce pan. Cook the mixture on a medium flame by constantly stirring it. It is very important to no let the mixture to boil.
5. In about 3-5 minutes, the mixture will thicken up. Now, strain the mixture into a different bowl to remove the whole cloves.
6. Now whisk into the thick liquid, rum, cream, remaining vanilla extract and nutmeg.
7. Let the mixture cool.
8. Refrigerate the mixture overnight before serving.